Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name common animals and their characteristics.
- Understand basic animal habitats and adaptations.
- Recognize animal sounds and movements.
- Develop fine motor skills through arts and crafts activities related to animals.
- Gain a basic understanding of animal-related concepts in science, geography, and literature.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Animals
- Introduce different types of animals: mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish.
- Discuss basic characteristics of each animal group.
- Read books about animals.
- Arts and Crafts: Create animal masks.
Day 2: Animal Habitats
- Explore various animal habitats: forest, desert, ocean, jungle, etc.
- Discuss how animals adapt to their environments.
- Read books about animal habitats.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a habitat diorama.
Day 3: Animal Sounds and Movements
- Learn about the sounds and movements of different animals.
- Engage in role-playing animal movements and sounds.
- Read books about animal sounds and movements.
- Arts and Crafts: Create paper plate animals with movable parts.
Day 4: Science of Animals
- Discover interesting facts about specific animals (e.g., polar bears, elephants).
- Discuss animal life cycles and growth stages.
- Read books about animal life cycles.
- Science Project: Create a butterfly life cycle craft.
Day 5: Geography, Literature, and Bible Connections
- Explore animals from different parts of the world.
- Read animal-related stories from around the world.
- Discuss animals mentioned in the Bible (e.g., Noah’s Ark).
- Field Trip: Visit a local petting zoo or animal sanctuary.
- “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?” by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle – Amazon Link
- “National Geographic Kids First Big Book of Animals” by Catherine D. Hughes – Amazon Link
- “Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?” by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle – Amazon Link
- “Animal Sounds Song” by Cocomelon – YouTube Link
- “Animal Habitat Song” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
- “Wild Animal Dance” by The Kiboomers – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Animal Masks – Create masks of different animals using paper plates, paint, and craft materials.
- Habitat Diorama – Build a diorama depicting an animal’s natural habitat using craft materials and toy animals.
- Paper Plate Animals – Create animals with movable parts using paper plates and brad fasteners.
Butterfly Life Cycle Craft – Create a visual representation of the butterfly life cycle using colored paper and craft sticks.
Visit a local petting zoo or animal sanctuary to observe and interact with various animals.
The story of Noah’s Ark – Genesis 6-9
Adapt and customize the activities based on the interests and abilities of the preschoolers in your unit study. Have a delightful time exploring the fascinating world of animals with your young learners!