Age and Grade Requirements
- Age: 5-6 years old
- Grade: Kindergarten
By the end of this unit study, students will be able to:
- Explore different forms of art and creative expression.
- Understand basic concepts of colors, shapes, and artistic techniques.
- Develop creativity and imagination through hands-on art activities.
- Enhance fine motor skills and artistic appreciation.
- Gain exposure to basic concepts of art history and cultural diversity.
Schedule (5 Days)
Day 1: Introduction to Art
- Introduction to the concept of art and its various forms
- Explore different art materials and tools
- Arts and crafts: Create “Art Material Exploration” collage
Day 2: Colors and Shapes
- Focus on colors and shapes: Discuss primary and secondary colors
- Engage in a “Color Mixing” activity with paint or playdough
- Arts and crafts: Create “Shape Collage” using cutouts and glue
Day 3: Famous Artists
- Explore famous artists and their works (e.g., Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso)
- Learn about different art styles and techniques
- Arts and crafts: Create “Starry Night” inspired by Vincent van Gogh
Day 4: Cultural Art Adventure
- Focus on art from different cultures and countries
- Learn about traditional art forms and their significance
- Reading a related storybook
Day 5: Art Exhibition and Culmination
- Culmination activity: Students display their artwork in an “Art Exhibition”
- Engage in an art scavenger hunt and discussions about each piece
- Culmination activity: Create a class “Art Appreciation Booklet”
Recommended Books (with Amazon Links)
- “Mix It Up!” by Hervé Tullet Amazon Link
- “The Noisy Paint Box: The Colors and Sounds of Kandinsky’s Abstract Art” by Barb Rosenstock Amazon Link
- “Global Art: Activities, Projects, and Inventions from Around the World” by MaryAnn F. Kohl Amazon Link
Recommended Video Links
- Art for Kids Hub: “How to Draw a Cute Cartoon Dolphin” YouTube Link
- The Art Assignment: “How to Make a Starry Night Collage” YouTube Link
- KidLit TV: “The Noisy Paint Box” Storytime YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts Activity
Create “Starry Night”: Inspired by Vincent van Gogh’s famous painting, create a collage using paint, paper, and other craft materials.
Art Exploration Activity
“Color Mixing”: Engage in a hands-on activity where students mix primary colors to create secondary colors.
Create an “Art Exhibition” where students’ artwork is displayed and discussed. Create a class “Art Appreciation Booklet” that includes each student’s artwork and a brief description of their inspiration.
Discuss the concept of creativity and the idea that humans are made in the image of a creative God, exploring passages that emphasize God’s role as the ultimate Creator (e.g., Genesis 1:27, Psalm 139:14).