Age and Grade Requirements
- Age: 5-6 years old
- Grade: Kindergarten
By the end of this unit study, students will be able to:
- Explore classic fairy tales and their timeless themes.
- Understand the characters, settings, and moral lessons of fairy tales.
- Develop imagination and creativity through storytelling and activities.
- Enhance language skills through discussions and role-playing.
- Gain exposure to basic concepts of literature, character values, and cultural stories.
Schedule (5 Days)
Day 1: Introduction to Fairy Tales
- Introduction to the concept of fairy tales and their characteristics
- Identify and discuss different fairy tales (e.g., Rapunzel, Beauty and the Beast)
- Arts and crafts: Create “Fairy Tale Storybook Covers” using drawings and craft materials
Day 2: Rapunzel’s Tower Adventure
- Focus on Rapunzel: Discuss the story, characters, and setting
- Engage in a “Rapunzel’s Tower” art and imaginative play activity
- Reading a related storybook
Day 3: Beauty and the Beast Enchantment
- Focus on Beauty and the Beast: Discuss the story, characters, and theme
- Explore themes of kindness and inner beauty through discussions
- Arts and crafts: Create “Enchanted Roses” using paper and tissue
Day 4: Fairy Tale Dress-Up Day
- Dress-up day: Students come dressed as their favorite fairy tale character
- Engage in role-playing and dramatic storytelling activities
Day 5: Culmination and Moral Lessons
- Culmination activity: Students perform short skits based on different fairy tales
- Discuss the moral lessons and values found in fairy tales
- Culmination activity: Create a class “Fairy Tale Values Banner”
Recommended Books (with Amazon Links)
- “Rapunzel” by Bethan Woollvin Amazon Link
- “Beauty and the Beast” by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve Amazon Link
- “The Classic Treasury of Aesop’s Fables” by Don Daily Amazon Link
Recommended Video Links
- Disney Princess: “Rapunzel Story” YouTube Link
- Disney Princess: “Beauty and the Beast Story” YouTube Link
- Fairy Tales and Stories for Kids: “Rapunzel Story” YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts Activity
Create “Enchanted Roses”: Use paper and tissue to create beautiful roses inspired by Beauty and the Beast.
Imaginative Play Activity
“Rapunzel’s Tower”: Create a small tower structure and let students role-play the story of Rapunzel.
Students perform short skits based on different fairy tales, showcasing the characters, settings, and moral lessons. Create a class “Fairy Tale Values Banner” that highlights the important values taught by fairy tales.
Discuss the moral lessons and values found in fairy tales and relate them to biblical principles, exploring passages that emphasize virtues such as kindness, humility, and inner beauty (e.g., Proverbs 31:30, 1 Peter 3:3-4).