Age and Grade Requirements
- Age: 5-6 years old
- Grade: Kindergarten
By the end of this unit study, students will be able to:
- Explore various occupations and careers.
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of different professionals.
- Develop an awareness of the importance of different jobs in society.
- Enhance creativity through occupation-themed arts and crafts activities.
- Gain exposure to basic concepts of community, teamwork, and future aspirations.
Schedule (5 Days)
Day 1: Introduction to Occupations
- Introduction to the concept of occupations and careers
- Identify and discuss different types of jobs and professionals
- Arts and crafts: Create “Career Collage” using pictures from magazines
Day 2: Community Helpers
- Focus on community helpers: Discuss the roles of police officers, firefighters, doctors, etc.
- Learn about the importance of helping and serving others
- Role-playing activity: Pretend play as community helpers
Day 3: Exploring Creative Professions
- Focus on creative professions: Discuss artists, musicians, writers, etc.
- Engage in creative activities related to each profession (e.g., drawing, music)
- Arts and crafts: Create “Artist’s Palette” using paper and paint
Day 4: Future Aspirations
- Explore future aspirations: Discuss what students want to be when they grow up
- Learn about setting goals and working hard to achieve dreams
- Reading a related storybook
Day 5: Career Fair and Culmination
- Organize a mini career fair: Students dress up as different professionals
- Discuss and share their aspirations with peers
- Culmination activity: Create a class “Dream Jobs Wall” with students’ drawings and descriptions of their future careers
Recommended Books (with Amazon Links)
- “Whose Hands Are These?: A Community Helper Guessing Book” by Miranda Paul Amazon Link
- “When I Grow Up” by Al Yankovic Amazon Link
- “The Dot” by Peter H. Reynolds Amazon Link
Recommended Video Links
- Sesame Street: “Elmo’s World: Jobs” YouTube Link
- BabyBus: “Doctor Checkup Song” YouTube Link
- StoryBots: “When I Grow Up” YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts Activity
Create “Artist’s Palette”: Provide paper plates and paint for students to create their own artist’s palettes.
“Pretend Play as Community Helpers”: Set up different role-playing stations for students to experience what it’s like to be different community helpers.
Create a “Dream Jobs Wall” where students contribute their drawings and descriptions of their future careers, fostering a sense of aspiration and motivation.
Discuss the concept of service, helping others, and using one’s talents for the greater good as emphasized in the Bible, exploring passages that highlight the value of serving others and working with diligence (e.g., Matthew 25:34-40, Colossians 3:23-24).