Age and Grade Requirements
- Age: 5-6 years old
- Grade: Kindergarten
By the end of this unit study, students will be able to:
- Identify and name various elements of the ocean environment.
- Understand the importance of oceans and marine life.
- Develop an appreciation for ocean conservation and protection.
- Enhance creativity through arts and crafts activities.
- Gain exposure to basic concepts of science, history, and geography related to oceans.
Schedule (5 Days)
Day 1: Introduction to Oceans
- Introduction to the concept of oceans and their significance
- Identify and discuss elements of the ocean (e.g., water, waves, marine life)
- Arts and crafts: Create an “Ocean Diorama” with paper and craft materials
Day 2: Marine Life and Habitats
- Focus on marine life: Discuss different types of ocean animals and their habitats
- Learn about the diversity of ocean creatures, from fish to whales
- Science project: Create a “Ocean Animal Craft”
Day 3: Coral Reefs and Ocean Conservation
- Focus on coral reefs: Discuss their importance and the need for ocean conservation
- Engage in a coral reef-themed activity, such as creating a colorful coral reef artwork
- Arts and crafts: Create a “Save the Ocean” poster with ocean conservation messages
Day 4: Ocean Exploration and Underwater Creatures
- Discuss ocean exploration and the use of submarines and diving equipment
- Learn about unique underwater creatures like anglerfish and giant squid
- Reading a related storybook
Day 5: Oceans Around the World and Culmination
- Discuss different oceans and their characteristics (e.g., Pacific, Atlantic)
- Geography component: Identify major oceans on a world map
- Culmination activity: Create an “Ocean Discovery Booklet” with student-drawn ocean animals and facts
Recommended Books (with Amazon Links)
- “Commotion in the Ocean” by Giles Andreae Amazon Link
- “Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef” by Marianne Berkes Amazon Link
- “The Snail and the Whale” by Julia Donaldson Amazon Link
Recommended Video Links
- National Geographic Kids: “Oceans” YouTube Link
- Baby Shark: “Baby Shark Ocean Adventure” YouTube Link
- The Magic School Bus: “The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor” YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts Activity
Create “Ocean Animal Craft”: Provide templates or materials for students to create paper or felt ocean animals.
“Ocean Diorama”: Create a diorama depicting different ocean elements and marine life using a shoebox or other craft materials.
Create an “Ocean Discovery Booklet” in which students draw and write about various ocean animals and interesting facts they have learned.
Explore biblical references to the sea and ocean, such as the story of Noah’s Ark (Genesis 6-9) or Jesus calming the stormy sea (Mark 4:35-41), discussing the spiritual lessons that can be drawn from these narratives.