Age and Grade Requirements
- Age: 5-6 years old
- Grade: Kindergarten
By the end of this unit study, students will be able to:
- Explore the wonders of outer space and the solar system.
- Understand basic concepts of planets, stars, and space exploration.
- Develop curiosity and appreciation for the universe.
- Enhance language skills through space-themed storytelling and discussions.
- Gain exposure to basic concepts of science, astronomy, and imagination.
Schedule (5 Days)
Day 1: Introduction to Outer Space
- Introduction to the concept of outer space and the solar system
- Identify and discuss the Sun, Moon, and Earth
- Arts and crafts: Create “Space Collage” using pictures and craft materials
Day 2: Exploring Planets
- Focus on planets: Discuss different planets in our solar system
- Learn about their sizes, colors, and unique features
- Science activity: Create “Planet Mobile” with paper cutouts
Day 3: Moon and Stars
- Explore the Moon and stars: Discuss lunar phases and constellations
- Engage in stargazing and moon observation (if possible)
- Arts and crafts: Create “Glowing Moon” using glow-in-the-dark paint
Day 4: Space Exploration
- Focus on space exploration: Discuss astronauts, rockets, and the International Space Station
- Engage in a rocket launch simulation activity
- Reading a related storybook
Day 5: Imagining Space and Culmination
- Use imagination: Discuss aliens, space travel, and creative ideas about space
- Arts and crafts: Create “Alien Masks” using paper and craft supplies
- Culmination activity: Create a class “Space Exhibition” with students’ artwork and facts
Recommended Books (with Amazon Links)
- “There’s No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System” by Tish Rabe Amazon Link
- “If You Decide to Go to the Moon” by Faith McNulty Amazon Link
- “The Darkest Dark” by Chris Hadfield Amazon Link
Recommended Video Links
- StoryBots: “The Solar System” YouTube Link
- National Geographic Kids: “Planets of the Solar System” YouTube Link
- SciShow Kids: “Why Do Stars Twinkle?” YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts Activity
Create “Glowing Moon”: Use glow-in-the-dark paint to create a moon that glows at night.
“Planet Mobile”: Create a mobile with paper cutouts of different planets, discussing their order from the Sun.
Create a “Space Exhibition” where students’ space-themed artwork and facts are displayed, allowing them to showcase their understanding of the solar system and outer space.
Discuss the concept of creation and the awe-inspiring nature of the universe as found in the Bible, exploring passages that highlight God’s role as the Creator of the heavens and the Earth (e.g., Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1).