Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name different art materials and tools.
- Understand basic art concepts such as color, shape, and texture.
- Recognize famous artists and their contributions.
- Develop fine motor skills through hands-on arts and crafts activities.
- Gain a basic understanding of art’s role in creativity and expression.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Art
- Introduce the concept of art and its various forms.
- Discuss different art materials and tools.
- Read books about art and famous artists.
- Arts and Crafts: Create an artist’s palette.
Day 2: Exploring Colors
- Focus on the concept of color in art.
- Engage in color mixing activities and experiments.
- Read books about colors and art.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a rainbow artwork.
Day 3: Shapes and Patterns
- Explore shapes and patterns in art.
- Learn about different types of shapes and create patterns.
- Read books about shapes and patterns.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a shape collage.
Day 4: Texture and Sensory Art
- Discover texture in art and sensory experiences.
- Engage in hands-on texture exploration using different materials.
- Read books about texture in art.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a textured sensory artwork.
Day 5: Famous Artists and Creativity
- Introduce preschoolers to famous artists (e.g., Van Gogh, Picasso).
- Discuss the creativity and imagination in art.
- Read books about famous artists and creativity.
- Arts and Crafts: Create an art-inspired masterpiece.
- “The Dot” by Peter H. Reynolds – Amazon Link
- “Mix It Up!” by Hervé Tullet – Amazon Link
- “Vincent’s Colors: Words and Pictures by Vincent van Gogh” – Amazon Link
- “Art for Kids: All About Color in Art” by Art for Kids Hub – YouTube Link
- “Shapes Song 2” by The Singing Walrus – YouTube Link
- “Famous Artists for Kids” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Artist’s Palette – Create a paper palette with paint splatters.
- Rainbow Artwork – Create a colorful rainbow using different art materials.
- Shape Collage – Cut and arrange different shapes to create a collage.
- Textured Sensory Art – Use textured materials to create a sensory artwork.
- Art-Inspired Masterpiece – Create an artwork inspired by a famous artist.
Adapt and customize the activities based on the interests and abilities of the preschoolers in your unit study. Have a creative and imaginative time exploring the world of art with your young learners!