Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name specific community helpers (librarians, crossing guards, mail carriers).
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of these community helpers.
- Recognize the importance of these helpers in our community.
- Develop social awareness and appreciation for the people who assist us.
- Gain a basic understanding of cooperation and community support.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Librarians
- Introduce the role of librarians and their contribution to the community.
- Discuss how librarians help people find and borrow books.
- Read books about librarians.
- Activity: Create a mini library with books and make library cards.
Day 2: Crossing Guards
- Explore the role of crossing guards in keeping us safe while crossing the street.
- Discuss how crossing guards help us follow traffic rules.
- Read books about crossing guards.
- Activity: Create a paper plate crossing guard stop sign.
Day 3: Mail Carriers
- Focus on the responsibilities of mail carriers and how they deliver mail.
- Discuss how mail carriers help us send and receive letters and packages.
- Read books about mail carriers.
- Activity: Craft a mailbox and deliver pretend mail.
Day 4: Community Helpers Comparison
- Compare and contrast the roles of librarians, crossing guards, and mail carriers.
- Discuss how each helper contributes to a safe and well-functioning community.
- Read books about community helpers.
- Activity: Create a “Community Helpers” chart with drawings.
Day 5: Appreciation and Thank You
- Emphasize the importance of showing appreciation to community helpers.
- Discuss ways we can say “thank you” to those who assist us.
- Read books about gratitude and kindness.
- Activity: Make thank you cards for community helpers.
- “Lola at the Library” by Anna McQuinn – Amazon Link
- “Curious George at the Library” by H.A. Rey – Amazon Link
- “The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers” by Stan and Jan Berenstain – Amazon Link
- “Community Helpers: Who Does What?” by The Kids’ Picture Show – YouTube Link
- “Curious George: Mail Time” by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment – YouTube Link
- “Elmo and Abby’s Bubble Fun” by Sesame Street – YouTube Link
- Mini Library and Library Cards – Set up a mini library with pretend books and library cards.
- Paper Plate Crossing Guard Stop Sign – Create a stop sign with a paper plate and craft supplies.
- Crafted Mailbox and Pretend Mail – Craft a mailbox and engage in pretend mail delivery.
- Community Helpers Chart – Create a chart with drawings or pictures of different community helpers.
- Thank You Cards – Make thank you cards for each community helper studied.