Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name specific community helpers (e.g., firefighters, police officers, doctors).
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of these community helpers.
- Recognize the importance of different community helpers in society.
- Develop empathy and appreciation for those who serve the community.
- Gain a basic understanding of various professions.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Firefighters
- Introduce the role of firefighters in the community and discuss fire safety.
- Explore the equipment and uniforms used by firefighters.
- Read a book about firefighters and fire safety.
- Activity: Create a “Firefighter Hat” craft.
Day 2: Police Officers
- Explore the role of police officers and their responsibilities.
- Discuss the importance of following rules and laws.
- Read a book about police officers and community safety.
- Activity: Create a “Police Badge” craft.
Day 3: Doctors and Nurses
- Introduce the roles of doctors and nurses in healthcare.
- Discuss the importance of staying healthy and visiting the doctor.
- Read a book about doctors and healthcare professionals.
- Activity: Pretend play “Doctor’s Office” with toy medical supplies.
Day 4: Veterinarians
- Discover the role of veterinarians in caring for animals.
- Discuss the different types of animals veterinarians treat.
- Read a book about veterinarians and animal care.
- Activity: Create a “Stuffed Animal Vet Clinic.”
Day 5: Community Helper Appreciation
- Review the roles of different community helpers.
- Discuss the importance of appreciating and respecting community helpers.
- Engage in gratitude activities such as making thank-you cards.
- Activity: Community Helper Appreciation Party.
- “Firefighters A to Z” by Chris L. Demarest – Amazon Link
- “Police Officers on Patrol” by Kersten Hamilton – Amazon Link
- “Doctor Ted” by Andrea Beaty – Amazon Link
- “Firefighters for Kids” by Homeschool Pop – YouTube Link
- “Police Officers for Kids” by Squeak – YouTube Link
- “Going to the Doctor” by Little Angel – YouTube Link
- “Firefighter Hat” Craft – Create a firefighter hat using construction paper.
- “Police Badge” Craft – Decorate a paper police badge with stickers and markers.
- Pretend Play “Doctor’s Office” – Set up a pretend doctor’s office with toy medical supplies.
- “Stuffed Animal Vet Clinic” – Pretend to be a veterinarian and care for stuffed animals.
- Community Helper Appreciation Party – Engage in gratitude activities and celebrate community helpers.