Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name different community places and helpers.
- Understand the concept of a community and its importance.
- Recognize the roles of various community helpers.
- Develop social awareness and appreciation for diversity.
- Gain a basic understanding of community values and cooperation.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Community
- Introduce the concept of a community and its role in our lives.
- Discuss different community places (school, park, library, etc.).
- Read books about the community.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a community mural.
Day 2: Community Places
- Explore different community places and what happens there.
- Learn about the purpose of places like hospitals, fire stations, etc.
- Read books about community places.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a mini community diorama.
Day 3: Community Helpers
- Focus on community helpers (doctor, firefighter, police officer, etc.).
- Discuss the important jobs they do to keep the community safe.
- Read books about community helpers.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a community helper collage.
Day 4: Cultural Diversity
- Discover the concept of diversity within a community.
- Discuss how people from different backgrounds contribute to the community.
- Read books about cultural diversity.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a “We Are All Different” poster.
Day 5: Working Together
- Introduce the idea of cooperation and working together in a community.
- Discuss how people collaborate to make the community better.
- Read books about teamwork.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a collaborative art project.
- “Last Stop on Market Street” by Matt de la Peña – Amazon Link
- “Community Helpers from A to Z” by Bobbie Kalman – Amazon Link
- “Whose Hands Are These?: A Community Helper Guessing Book” by Miranda Paul – Amazon Link
- “Community Helpers for Kids” by FreeSchool – YouTube Link
- “The Community Song” by Pancake Manor – YouTube Link
- “We All Work Together” by The Kiboomers – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Community Mural – Create a large mural depicting different community places.
- Mini Community Diorama – Create a small diorama showcasing a community place.
- Community Helper Collage – Create a collage with pictures of various community helpers.
- “We Are All Different” Poster – Create a poster celebrating cultural diversity.
- Collaborative Art Project – Create a collaborative art piece with the entire class.