Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name different types of dinosaurs.
- Understand basic concepts of dinosaurs, such as their appearance and habitat.
- Recognize the role of paleontologists in discovering dinosaurs.
- Develop creativity and imagination through dinosaur-related activities.
- Gain a basic understanding of prehistoric times and Earth’s history.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Dinosaurs
- Introduce the concept of dinosaurs and their existence in the past.
- Discuss different types of dinosaurs (Tyrannosaurus rex, Triceratops, etc.).
- Read books about dinosaurs.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a paper plate dinosaur.
Day 2: Dinosaur Characteristics
- Explore the characteristics of different dinosaurs (size, shape, etc.).
- Learn about herbivores and carnivores.
- Read books about dinosaur features.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a dinosaur footprint artwork.
Day 3: Dinosaur Habitats
- Focus on different dinosaur habitats (jungles, deserts, etc.).
- Discuss the environments where dinosaurs lived.
- Read books about dinosaur habitats.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a dinosaur diorama.
Day 4: Discovering Dinosaurs
- Discover the work of paleontologists in studying dinosaurs.
- Learn how fossils provide information about dinosaurs.
- Read books about paleontology.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a dinosaur fossil replica.
Day 5: Dinosaur Fun and Imagination
- Engage in dinosaur-themed activities and imaginative play.
- Discuss what it might be like to meet a dinosaur.
- Read books about dinosaur adventures.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a dinosaur mask.
- “Dinosaur Dance” by Sandra Boynton – Amazon Link
- “How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?” by Jane Yolen – Amazon Link
- “Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs” by Byron Barton – Amazon Link
- “Dinosaur Songs for Kids” by Pancake Manor – YouTube Link
- “Dinosaurs A to Z” by The Singing Walrus – YouTube Link
- “The Good Dinosaur” Story by ToyTimeTV – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Paper Plate Dinosaur – Create a dinosaur using a paper plate and art supplies.
- Dinosaur Footprint Artwork – Create artwork using dinosaur footprints.
- Dinosaur Diorama – Create a small scene depicting a dinosaur habitat.
- Dinosaur Fossil Replica – Create a fossil replica using clay or playdough.
- Dinosaur Mask – Create a mask representing a dinosaur face.