Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name different emotions.
- Understand basic concepts of emotions and feelings.
- Recognize emotions in themselves and others.
- Develop social and emotional skills through activities related to emotions.
- Gain a basic understanding of emotional well-being.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Emotions
- Introduce the concept of emotions and their importance.
- Discuss different emotions (happy, sad, angry, etc.).
- Read books about emotions.
- Arts and Crafts: Create an emotions poster.
Day 2: Exploring Feelings
- Explore different feelings and scenarios that evoke them.
- Engage in role-playing and expression activities.
- Read books about feelings.
- Arts and Crafts: Create feeling face masks.
Day 3: Recognizing Emotions in Others
- Focus on recognizing emotions in facial expressions and body language.
- Practice identifying emotions in pictures and real-life situations.
- Read books about understanding others’ emotions.
- Arts and Crafts: Create emotion cards.
Day 4: Dealing with Emotions
- Discover healthy ways to manage and express emotions.
- Discuss coping strategies such as deep breathing and talking.
- Read books about coping with emotions.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a feelings wheel.
Day 5: Celebrating Positive Emotions
- Introduce the concept of positive emotions (joy, gratitude, kindness, etc.).
- Engage in activities that promote positive emotions.
- Read books about positive thinking.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a gratitude journal.
- “The Way I Feel” by Janan Cain – Amazon Link
- “In My Heart: A Book of Feelings” by Jo Witek – Amazon Link
- “Today I Feel Silly: And Other Moods That Make My Day” by Jamie Lee Curtis – Amazon Link
- “Emotions and Feelings Song” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
- “Feelings and Emotions for Kids” by The Singing Walrus – YouTube Link
- “Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood: Feelings and Emotions” – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Emotions Poster – Create a poster with pictures representing different emotions.
- Feeling Face Masks – Create masks with different facial expressions.
- Emotion Cards – Create cards with pictures of various emotions.
- Feelings Wheel – Create a wheel with different emotions and coping strategies.
- Gratitude Journal – Create a journal to record positive experiences and emotions.
Adapt and customize the activities based on the interests and abilities of the preschoolers in your unit study. Have a nurturing and emotionally enriching time exploring feelings and emotions with your young learners!