Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name popular fairy tale characters and settings.
- Understand basic elements of fairy tales, such as magic and morals.
- Recognize common themes and lessons found in fairy tales.
- Develop imagination and creativity through activities related to fairy tales.
- Gain a basic understanding of storytelling and narrative structure.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Fairy Tales
- Introduce the concept of fairy tales and their enchanting nature.
- Discuss popular fairy tale characters (Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, etc.).
- Read a classic fairy tale.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a magic wand.
Day 2: Magical Settings
- Explore different settings found in fairy tales (castle, forest, etc.).
- Discuss the role of settings in creating a magical atmosphere.
- Read fairy tales with diverse settings.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a fairy tale diorama.
Day 3: Heroes and Villains
- Focus on heroes and villains in fairy tales.
- Discuss the characteristics of both types of characters.
- Read fairy tales featuring heroes and villains.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a hero or villain mask.
Day 4: Moral Lessons
- Discover the moral lessons and messages in fairy tales.
- Discuss the importance of learning from stories.
- Read fairy tales with clear morals.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a storybook with a moral.
Day 5: Storytelling and Imagination
- Introduce the art of storytelling and using imagination.
- Engage in collaborative storytelling activities.
- Read fairy tales and create own imaginative versions.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a storytelling puppet.
- “The Three Little Pigs” by James Marshall – Amazon Link
- “Cinderella” by Marcia Brown – Amazon Link
- “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” by James Marshall – Amazon Link
- “Fairy Tales Song for Kids” by Pancake Manor – YouTube Link
- “The Gingerbread Man Story” by Fairy Tales and Stories for Kids – YouTube Link
- “Little Red Riding Hood” by Kids Hut – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Magic Wand – Create a wand using craft materials.
- Fairy Tale Diorama – Create a small scene from a fairy tale.
- Hero or Villain Mask – Create a mask representing a fairy tale character.
- Storybook with a Moral – Create a simple storybook with a moral lesson.
- Storytelling Puppet – Create a puppet for storytelling activities.