Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name different farm animals and their young.
- Understand basic farm concepts such as farming, planting, and harvesting.
- Recognize the role of farms in providing food and resources.
- Develop fine motor skills through arts and crafts activities related to the farm.
- Gain a basic understanding of farm-related concepts in science and nature.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to the Farm
- Introduce the concept of a farm and its importance.
- Discuss different farm animals and their sounds.
- Read books about the farm.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a farm animal collage.
Day 2: Farm Animals
- Explore various farm animals (cow, chicken, pig, sheep, etc.).
- Learn about the young of different animals (calf, chick, piglet, lamb, etc.).
- Read books about farm animals.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a paper plate barn.
Day 3: Farm Life and Chores
- Focus on farm life and daily chores.
- Discuss activities like milking cows, collecting eggs, and planting crops.
- Read books about farm chores.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a miniature farm scene.
Day 4: Planting and Harvesting
- Discover the process of planting and harvesting on a farm.
- Learn about different crops grown on a farm.
- Read books about planting and harvesting.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a corn-on-the-cob craft.
Day 5: Farm-to-Table
- Introduce the concept of farm-to-table and where our food comes from.
- Discuss the journey of food from the farm to our plates.
- Read books about farm-to-table.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a paper plate vegetable garden.
- “Big Red Barn” by Margaret Wise Brown – Amazon Link
- “The Very Busy Spider” by Eric Carle – Amazon Link
- “From Seed to Plant” by Gail Gibbons – Amazon Link
- “Farm Animals for Kids” by FreeSchool – YouTube Link
- “The Farm Song” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
- “The Farmers’ Market Song” by The Kiboomers – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Farm Animal Collage – Create a collage with pictures of different farm animals.
- Paper Plate Barn – Create a barn using a paper plate and art supplies.
- Miniature Farm Scene – Create a small scene with toy farm animals and props.
- Corn-on-the-Cob Craft – Create a craft representing a corn cob.
- Paper Plate Vegetable Garden – Create a vegetable garden using paper plates and art materials.