Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name different holidays celebrated throughout the year.
- Understand the cultural and historical significance of each holiday.
- Recognize holiday symbols, traditions, and activities.
- Develop fine motor skills through arts and crafts activities related to holidays.
- Gain a basic understanding of holidays’ impact on communities and families.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Holidays
- Introduce the concept of holidays and their importance.
- Discuss different holidays celebrated in the community.
- Read books about holidays.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a holiday calendar.
Day 2: Winter Holidays
- Explore winter holidays (Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc.).
- Discuss holiday symbols, traditions, and activities.
- Read books about winter holidays.
- Arts and Crafts: Create holiday ornaments.
Day 3: Spring Holidays
- Discover spring holidays (Easter, Passover, Earth Day, etc.).
- Learn about the cultural and environmental significance of these holidays.
- Read books about spring holidays.
- Arts and Crafts: Create Earth Day-themed artwork.
Day 4: Summer Holidays
- Explore summer holidays (Independence Day, Canada Day, etc.).
- Discuss holiday celebrations and activities during the summer months.
- Read books about summer holidays.
- Arts and Crafts: Create patriotic crafts.
Day 5: Fall Holidays
- Discover fall holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Diwali, etc.).
- Learn about the historical and cultural background of these holidays.
- Read books about fall holidays.
- Arts and Crafts: Create pumpkin-themed crafts.
- “Holidays Around the World: Celebrate Hanukkah” by Deborah Heiligman – Amazon Link
- “The Story of Easter” by Patricia A. Pingry – Amazon Link
- “Diwali” by Hannah Eliot – Amazon Link
- “Holidays Around the World” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
- “The Passover Story” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
- “Thanksgiving Day Song” by Patty Shukla – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Holiday Calendar – Create a calendar with pictures representing different holidays.
- Holiday Ornaments – Create ornaments inspired by different winter holidays.
- Earth Day Artwork – Create a collage using recycled materials for Earth Day.
- Patriotic Crafts – Create crafts with patriotic themes for summer holidays.
- Pumpkin Crafts – Create pumpkin-related crafts for fall holidays.
Adapt and customize the activities based on the interests and abilities of the preschoolers in your unit study. Have a festive and educational time exploring holidays with your young learners!