Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Explore and appreciate various music genres (jazz, country, rap).
- Understand basic characteristics and rhythms of each genre.
- Recognize the importance of music in expressing emotions and ideas.
- Develop rhythm and movement skills through musical activities.
- Gain a basic understanding of different music styles and their cultural contexts.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Jazz
- Introduce the genre of jazz and discuss its lively and improvisational nature.
- Listen to and explore different jazz instruments (trumpet, saxophone, etc.).
- Engage in a simple jazz rhythm clapping activity.
- Activity: Create a collaborative jazz-inspired art piece.
Day 2: Exploring Country Music
- Explore the genre of country music and its themes of storytelling.
- Listen to and discuss country music instruments (guitar, fiddle, etc.).
- Sing simple country songs together.
- Activity: Create homemade “banjos” from household materials.
Day 3: Discovering Rap Music
- Introduce the genre of rap and discuss its rhythmic and lyrical qualities.
- Listen to and discuss rap music beats and rhymes.
- Engage in a basic beatboxing activity.
- Activity: Write and perform short rap verses as a group.
Day 4: Music and Emotion
- Focus on how music can convey different emotions (happy, sad, excited, etc.).
- Listen to various musical pieces and discuss the feelings they evoke.
- Express emotions through movement and dance.
- Activity: Create a “Feelings Playlist” with different songs for various emotions.
Day 5: Cultural Music Exploration
- Explore music from around the world and discuss cultural influences.
- Listen to and discuss music from different countries.
- Engage in simple cultural music-inspired activities (e.g., African drumming rhythm).
- Activity: Create a world map with markers indicating musical origins.
- “This Jazz Man” by Karen Ehrhardt – Amazon Link
- “Llama Llama and the Music Lesson” by Anna Dewdney – Amazon Link
- “Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat” by Nikki Giovanni – Amazon Link
- “Introduction to Jazz Music for Kids” by Virtual School Activities – YouTube Link
- “Country Music for Kids” by Kiboomu Kids Songs – YouTube Link
- “Rap Music for Kids” by BrainPOP – YouTube Link
- Jazz Rhythm Clapping Activity – Clap out simple jazz rhythms as a group.
- Homemade “Banjos” Craft – Create banjos using cardboard tubes and rubber bands.
- Basic Beatboxing Activity – Learn and practice simple beatboxing sounds.
- “Feelings Playlist” – Collaboratively select and list songs for different emotions.
- Cultural Music-Inspired Activities – Engage in simple activities inspired by cultural music.