Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name different recyclable materials and items.
- Understand the concept of recycling and its importance for the environment.
- Recognize the benefits of reducing, reusing, and recycling.
- Develop eco-conscious habits and practices.
- Gain a basic understanding of sustainability and environmental stewardship.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Recycling
- Introduce the concept of recycling and why it’s important.
- Discuss different recyclable materials (paper, plastic, etc.).
- Read books about recycling.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a recycling poster.
Day 2: Types of Recycling
- Explore different types of recycling (paper, plastic, metal, etc.).
- Learn about how each type of material can be recycled.
- Read books about different types of recycling.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a recycling sorting activity.
Day 3: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Focus on the 3 Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
- Discuss how we can reduce waste and reuse items.
- Read books about the 3 Rs.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a reusable shopping bag.
Day 4: Recycling at Home
- Discover how recycling can be done at home.
- Discuss the importance of having a recycling bin.
- Read books about recycling at home.
- Arts and Crafts: Decorate a mini recycling bin.
Day 5: Taking Care of Our Planet
- Introduce the concept of environmental stewardship.
- Discuss how we can take care of the Earth by recycling.
- Read books about caring for the environment.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a “Green Earth” artwork.
- “The Adventures of a Plastic Bottle: A Story About Recycling” by Alison Inches – Amazon Link
- “Recycling Is Fun” by Charles Ghigna – Amazon Link
- “We Planted a Tree” by Diane Muldrow – Amazon Link
- “Recycling Song for Kids” by Pancake Manor – YouTube Link
- “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Song” by The Kiboomers – YouTube Link
- “Earth Day Song” by Have Fun Teaching – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Recycling Poster – Create a poster with images and slogans promoting recycling.
- Recycling Sorting Activity – Sort different materials into recycling categories.
- Reusable Shopping Bag – Decorate a fabric bag for carrying reusable items.
- Mini Recycling Bin – Decorate a small bin to encourage recycling at home.
- “Green Earth” Artwork – Create an artwork showcasing a healthy and green Earth.