Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name the four seasons: spring, summer, fall, and winter.
- Understand the characteristics and changes associated with each season.
- Recognize seasonal clothing and activities.
- Develop fine motor skills through arts and crafts activities related to seasons.
- Gain a basic understanding of seasonal concepts in science, literature, and social studies.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Seasons
- Introduce the concept of seasons and their names.
- Discuss the characteristics and changes that occur in each season.
- Read books about seasons.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a four-season tree.
Day 2: Springtime Wonders
- Explore the season of spring and its features (blooming flowers, rain, baby animals).
- Discuss how plants and animals change during spring.
- Read books about spring.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a paper flower garden.
Day 3: Sunny Summer
- Discuss the characteristics of summer (warm weather, longer days, beach trips).
- Explore outdoor summer activities and safety tips.
- Read books about summer.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a summer sun mosaic.
Day 4: Fabulous Fall
- Explore the season of fall and its changes (colorful leaves, harvest, cooler temperatures).
- Discuss the concept of leaves changing colors.
- Read books about fall.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a fall leaf collage.
Day 5: Wonderful Winter
- Discuss the characteristics of winter (cold weather, snow, winter holidays).
- Explore winter clothing and activities.
- Read books about winter.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a snowflake artwork.
- “The Seasons of Arnold’s Apple Tree” by Gail Gibbons – Amazon Link
- “When the Wind Stops” by Charlotte Zolotow – Amazon Link
- “Hello, World! Weather” by Jill McDonald – Amazon Link
- “The Four Seasons” by Super Simple Songs – YouTube Link
- “The Seasons Song” by The Singing Walrus – YouTube Link
- “Seasons and Clothes Song” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Four-Season Tree – Create a tree with detachable leaves representing each season.
- Paper Flower Garden – Craft paper flowers to represent springtime blooms.
- Summer Sun Mosaic – Create a mosaic using colorful paper to represent the summer sun.
- Fall Leaf Collage – Collect and glue colorful leaves to create a fall-themed collage.
- Snowflake Artwork – Cut and decorate paper snowflakes for a winter-themed artwork.
Adapt and customize the activities based on the interests and abilities of the preschoolers in your unit study. Have a wonderful time exploring the beauty of the seasons with your young learners!