Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name celestial bodies and objects in space.
- Understand basic concepts about the solar system and space exploration.
- Recognize the moon’s phases and the concept of day and night.
- Develop fine motor skills through arts and crafts activities related to space.
- Gain a basic understanding of space-related concepts in science and astronomy.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Space
- Introduce the concept of space and the universe.
- Discuss different celestial bodies (sun, moon, stars, planets, etc.).
- Read books about space and the solar system.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a space-themed mobile.
Day 2: Solar System Adventure
- Explore the solar system and its planets.
- Discuss basic characteristics of each planet.
- Read books about the solar system.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a paper plate solar system.
Day 3: Moon and Phases
- Focus on the moon and its phases.
- Learn about the different moon phases and their names.
- Read books about the moon.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a moon phase craft.
Day 4: Day and Night
- Discover the concept of day and night.
- Explore the rotation of Earth and its effect on light and darkness.
- Read books about day and night.
- Arts and Crafts: Create a spinning Earth craft.
Day 5: Space Exploration
- Introduce the concept of space exploration and astronauts.
- Discuss space missions and discoveries.
- Read books about space exploration.
- Arts and Crafts: Create an astronaut helmet.
- “There’s No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System” by Tish Rabe – Amazon Link
- “The Moon Book” by Gail Gibbons – Amazon Link
- “Astronaut Handbook” by Meghan McCarthy – Amazon Link
- “The Solar System Song” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
- “Phases of the Moon” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
- “Astronauts and Space: The Final Frontier” by The Kiboomers – YouTube Link
Arts and Crafts:
- Space-Themed Mobile – Create a mobile with hanging celestial bodies.
- Paper Plate Solar System – Create a representation of the solar system using paper plates.
- Moon Phase Craft – Create a craft showing different moon phases.
- Spinning Earth Craft – Create a rotating Earth model.
- Astronaut Helmet – Create a paper astronaut helmet.
Adapt and customize the activities based on the interests and abilities of the preschoolers in your unit study. Have an out-of-this-world experience exploring the mysteries of space with your young learners!