Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name different sports and physical activities.
- Understand basic concepts of sportsmanship, teamwork, and physical fitness.
- Recognize the importance of physical activity for health and well-being.
- Develop gross motor skills through sports-related activities.
- Gain a basic understanding of sports-related terms and equipment.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Sports
- Introduce the concept of sports and physical activities.
- Discuss different sports (soccer, basketball, swimming, etc.).
- Read books about sports.
- Physical Activity: Play a simple group game.
Day 2: Sportsmanship and Teamwork
- Explore the concepts of sportsmanship and working together.
- Discuss the importance of fair play and being a good sport.
- Read books about sportsmanship and teamwork.
- Physical Activity: Engage in team-building exercises.
Day 3: Trying New Sports
- Focus on trying new sports and activities.
- Discuss the idea of exploration and learning through play.
- Read books about trying new things.
- Physical Activity: Rotate through different sports stations.
Day 4: Physical Fitness
- Discover the importance of physical fitness and exercise.
- Discuss how staying active helps our bodies grow strong.
- Read books about staying healthy and fit.
- Physical Activity: Practice exercises and stretches.
Day 5: Sports Equipment and Safety
- Introduce different sports equipment (balls, rackets, etc.).
- Discuss the importance of safety when playing sports.
- Read books about sports equipment and safety.
- Physical Activity: Learn how to use different sports equipment safely.
- “Good Sports: Rhymes About Running, Jumping, Throwing, and More” by Jack Prelutsky – Amazon Link
- “The Berenstain Bears Play T-Ball” by Stan and Jan Berenstain – Amazon Link
- “I Can Play Soccer” by Anastasia Suen – Amazon Link
- “Sports Song for Kids” by Pancake Manor – YouTube Link
- “The Soccer (Football) Song” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
- “Let’s Go Play Soccer (Football) Song” by The Kiboomers – YouTube Link
- Group Game – Play a simple game that involves running and movement.
- Team-Building Exercises – Engage in activities that require cooperation.
- Sports Stations – Set up stations for trying different sports and activities.
- Exercises and Stretches – Practice basic exercises and stretches suitable for preschoolers.
- Sports Equipment Demonstration – Demonstrate how to use different sports equipment safely.