Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name different types of technology and devices.
- Understand basic concepts of technology, such as its uses and benefits.
- Recognize how technology has an impact on our daily lives.
- Develop basic digital literacy and fine motor skills.
- Gain a basic understanding of the role of technology in society.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Technology
- Introduce the concept of technology and its role in our lives.
- Discuss different types of technology (computers, phones, etc.).
- Read books about technology.
- Activity: Create a simple “tech” craft.
Day 2: Everyday Devices
- Explore common technology devices found at home (TV, microwave, etc.).
- Learn about how these devices make our lives easier.
- Read books about everyday technology.
- Activity: Play a technology-themed matching game.
Day 3: Digital World
- Focus on digital devices and their functions (tablet, smartphone, etc.).
- Discuss how we use digital devices for learning and fun.
- Read books about digital technology.
- Activity: Engage in interactive educational apps or games.
Day 4: Technology in Nature
- Discover how technology is used in natural exploration (telescope, camera, etc.).
- Learn about tools that help us study and appreciate the world around us.
- Read books about technology in nature.
- Activity: Create a nature-themed art using digital tools (drawing app).
Day 5: Being Tech Savvy
- Introduce basic digital literacy concepts (buttons, touchscreens, etc.).
- Discuss the importance of using technology safely and responsibly.
- Read books about being tech-savvy.
- Activity: Explore simple coding concepts through a coding game.
- “Hello Ruby: Adventures in Coding” by Linda Liukas – Amazon Link
- “The Berenstain Bears’ Computer Trouble” by Jan Berenstain – Amazon Link
- “Technology: Cool Women Who Code” by Andi Diehn – Amazon Link
- “Technology Song for Kids” by Pancake Manor – YouTube Link
- “Computer Song” by The Singing Walrus – YouTube Link
- “Learn Coding for Kids” by Brainzy – YouTube Link
- Simple “Tech” Craft – Create a craft inspired by technology (e.g., robot or computer).
- Technology-Themed Matching Game – Match pictures of devices to their names.
- Interactive Educational Apps or Games – Explore age-appropriate apps for learning.
- Nature-Themed Digital Art – Use a drawing app to create art inspired by nature.
- Simple Coding Game – Introduce coding concepts through a basic coding activity.