Target Age Group:
Preschoolers (Ages 3-5) Grade Level: Pre-K
By the end of this unit study, preschoolers will be able to:
- Identify and name various modes of transportation.
- Understand basic characteristics of different vehicles and their purposes.
- Recognize the importance of transportation in daily life and for connecting people and places.
- Develop fine motor skills through transportation-themed activities.
- Gain a basic understanding of different methods of travel.
Schedule: 5-Day Plan
Day 1: Introduction to Transportation
- Introduce the concept of transportation and its role in moving people and goods.
- Discuss various modes of transportation (car, bicycle, train, etc.).
- Read books about different types of vehicles.
- Activity: Create a transportation-themed puzzle.
Day 2: On the Road
- Explore road transportation (cars, buses, trucks, etc.).
- Discuss traffic rules and safety.
- Engage in a toy car race or transportation-themed game.
- Activity: Create a “Road Safety” poster.
Day 3: Up in the Sky
- Focus on air transportation (airplanes, helicopters, hot air balloons, etc.).
- Discuss how airplanes fly and the role of airports.
- Engage in an airplane-themed art activity.
- Activity: Create paper airplanes and test their flight.
Day 4: On the Water
- Discover water transportation (boats, ships, submarines, etc.).
- Discuss the different types of boats and their uses.
- Engage in a boat floating experiment.
- Activity: Create a sailboat craft.
Day 5: All Aboard!
- Explore rail transportation (trains, subways, etc.).
- Discuss train tracks, train stations, and different types of trains.
- Engage in a pretend play “train ride.”
- Activity: Create a train track layout with toy trains.
- “Things That Go!” by National Geographic Kids – Amazon Link
- “The Little Engine That Could” by Watty Piper – Amazon Link
- “Flight School” by Lita Judge – Amazon Link
- “Transportation Vehicles” by Kids Learning Tube – YouTube Link
- “The Airplane Song” by Super Simple Songs – YouTube Link
- “Boats and Ships for Kids” by Smart Learning for All – YouTube Link
- Transportation-Themed Puzzle – Create a puzzle with images of different transportation modes.
- “Road Safety” Poster – Decorate a poster with road safety rules and tips.
- Airplane-Themed Art – Create airplane artwork using paper, paint, and other materials.
- Boat Floating Experiment – Test different materials to see which ones float.
- Train Track Layout – Create a train track layout using toy train tracks and trains.