A prefix is a group of letters added to the beginning of a word to modify its meaning. Prefixes are an important part of the English language, and they can be used to form new words, as well as to change the meaning of existing words.
Examples of prefixes include: un- (meaning “not”), re- (meaning “again”), pre- (meaning “before”), and so on.
- Un- The prefix “un-” means “not” or “opposite of,” and it is used to create words that have a negative or opposite meaning, for example:
- Re- The prefix “re-” means “again” or “back,” and it is used to create words that indicate repetition or returning to a previous state, for example:
- Pre- The prefix “pre-” means “before” or “prior to,” and it is used to create words that indicate something that happens before another event, for example:
- Dis- The prefix “dis-” means “not” or “opposite of,” and it is used to create words that have a negative or opposite meaning, for example:
Common Prefix Mistakes:
- Confusing Prefixes
- Some prefixes may look similar, but have different meanings, such as “un-” and “non-.” “Un-” means “not” or “opposite of,” while “non-” means “not” or “without.”
- Adding a Prefix Incorrectly
- Adding a prefix to a word incorrectly can change its meaning or make it sound awkward. For example, “undergo” is correct, but “overgo” is not.
- Using the Wrong Prefix
- Using the wrong prefix can change the meaning of a word entirely. For example, “pro-” means “in favor of,” while “anti-” means “against.”
- Add the correct prefix to the following words to create a new word with a different meaning:
- Choose the correct prefix to complete the sentence:
- She _____ (pre/post) pares dinner before her guests arrive.
- He _____ (un/mis) understood the instructions.
- The _____ (re/anti) cycling program encourages people to recycle.
- Identify the error in the following sentence and correct it:
- The school is offering a pretest to help students prepare for the final exam.
Prefixes are an important part of the English language, and they can greatly enhance your vocabulary and communication skills. Understanding how to use prefixes correctly can help you create new words and meanings, as well as understand the meanings of existing words. Practice using prefixes in your daily conversations and writing, and pay attention to common mistakes to improve your language skills.